Thursday, October 16, 2014

My Current Photography Gear

Hello people,

To get you started, I am going to tell you a little bit more about my photography gear. I previously mentioned that I started my photography on a Canon EOS 650D, well that camera is still here today but I no longer use it and it is now being stored securely and will be kept as a memento.

When I started with my 650D, I have the kit 18-55mm II lens that comes together with it. I then started to grow more photographically and it demanded more lenses with different reach and functions. I then bought a Tamron 70-300mm non VC which I used extensively to shoot the Moon as well as some long range landscape. I then also bought a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 mighty plastic, a Canon EF 35mm f2.0 non IS non USM, a Tokina 12-24mm f4, and I finally ended my lens buying journey with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC as well as a Tamron 18-270mm VC. I later upgraded my 70-300mm non VC with a Tamron 70-300mm VC which is noticeably much sharper with better color contrast.

I spent a full 4 months forcing myself to only use the 35mm f2.0 as my main lens to get acquainted with "50mm full frame focal length" and that lens served me well. I then spent a full 4 months on the 17-50mm as my main lens, and then finally I spent 2 months using the 18-270mm as my main lens.

Then I bought Canon EOS M and it became my second body that takes all of my 650D lenses. Soon it became my preferred camera that I take everywhere with its little pancake 22mm f2.0. And then I would bring the EOS M on vacation trips with the 17-50mm attached on it and the 18-270mm on the 650D. It became my main setup....until August 2014!

I discovered that while the pictures from both Canon are quite sharp(they share the same imaging sensor), the controls that are on both of my Canons are a bit limited and I feel like it could have been more flexible, especially when I am looking to the competitors from the"new age" such as Sony NEX or Fuji XE. I then discovered Micro Four Thirds and decided to take a leap of faith, sell all my Canon gear except my 650D with its kit lens and a Tamron 70-300mm VC, and jump into a new system.....and I wasn't disappointed!! Now I shoot exclusively on Micro Four Thirds:

Here is my current Micro Four Thirds full kit:



I started with a Panasonic Lumix GX7 with the 14-42mm II kit lens and then I slowly added lenses and a secondary body, an Olympus E-PL6. In that picture, you can see all my lenses from left to right: Panasonic 7-14mm f4, Panasonic 14-42mm II, Panasonic 100-300mm f4-5.6, Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 attached on the GX7, an Olympus 45mm f1.8 attached on the E-PL6, Olympus 25mm f1.8, Olympus pancake 17mm f2.8 and Olympus 17mm f1.8.

The flashgun on the GX7 is an Olympus FL600R. It's quite amazing but it added so much weight to the system so I only use it on important documentation events, some video work, and some set-up studio-style shot(which I normally don't do), I will not bring it on my day-to-day shooting or during travel.

The whole kit covers everything that I need in terms of focal length and aperture range. The only thing that I missed in that picture is a fast zoom lens; I am planning on adding a 12-35mm f2.8 sometime next year when I have the budget.

So that's my full photography kit. I hope you enjoy this post, and if you do, please don't forget to follow me on my Google+: plus.google.com/+GaryWiryawan

Cheers and God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment